February 9, 2014
This Sunday, February 9th, we’re celebrating the premiere broadcast anniversary of "Return of the Archons". This episode originally aired during Season 1 on
Thursday, February 9, 1967.
Interesting factoids about this episode:
• This episode was nominated for a Writers Guild Award as Best Screenplay, One Hour Drama.
• Gene Roddenberry noted that this episode was in his top 10 all time TOS favorites.
• This episode marks the first time that Scotty takes over command of the bridge.
• This marks the first episode to bring forth what would soon be a Star Trek formula show: the landing party is captured while the Enterprise is attacked, forcing Kirk and his away team to gain their own freedom as well as saving the ship.
• This was the first time we saw Kirk out-think a machine by using logic, or illogic, driving his opponent out of its mechanical mind. What soon became Star Trek clichés were, in this instance, unique and effective.
In honor of the broadcast anniversary, watch the original episode (try amazon.com, Netflix or hulu plus) in a whole new way by reading all of the great behind-the-scenes details in Marc Cushman’s These are the Voyages: TOS, Season One. Get your copy today!